Anastrozole marketed under the brand name Arimidex and among others. It works by reducing the amount of estrogen your body produces. This drug can slow or stop the growth of many types of breast cancer cells that require estrogen to grow.
- Anastrozole is used to treat breast cancer in postmenopausal women. Tamoxifen ( Tamoxifen blocks the effects of the female hormone estrogen. Certain types of breast cancer require estrogen to grow.)
- Tamoxifen is used to treat some types of breast cancer in both men and women.
- Tamoxifen is also used to reduce a woman's risk of developing breast cancer if she is at high risk of developing breast cancer (eg, if she has a family history of breast cancer).
Anastrozole comes as an oral tablet. In general, take this medicine once a day with or without food. Take Anastrozole at approximately the same time each day. Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully and ask your doctor or pharmacist to clarify any areas you do not understand. Take Anastrozole exactly as directed. Do not take more or less, or more often than directed by your doctor.
You may need to take anastrozole for several years or longer. Continue taking Anastrozole, even if you feel well. Do not stop taking Anastrozole without talking to your doctor.Ask your pharmacist or doctor for a copy of the manufacturer's information sheet for your patient
Common side effects of anastrozole include:
- hot flashes
- mood swings
- joint pain
Serious side effects include:
- increased risk of heart disease
- use during pregnancy may harm baby.
Please consult your doctor/physician/specialist before taking any healthcare products. In case of allergic reaction to the medicines/substance, please take immediate medical help.