Finasteride sold under the brand names Proscar and Propecia. Taken orally. Finasteride is an antiandrogen as it is a 5α-reductase inhibitor. It works by reducing the production of dihydrotestosterone (DHT) by about 70%, including in the prostate and scalp.Finasteride should not be taken by women or children.
- Finasteride (Proscar) is used alone or in combination with other drugs to treat symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) in men with benign prostatic hyperplasia.
- Finasteride (Propecia) is used to treat male pattern baldness in men.
- Finasteride is for men only.
- Finasteride may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Finasteride is an oral tablet. In general, take this medicine once a day with or without food. Take finasteride at about the same time each day. Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully and ask your doctor or pharmacist to clarify any areas you do not understand. Take finasteride as directed. Do not take more or less, or more often than directed by your doctor.
If you are taking finasteride to treat benign prostatic hyperplasia, finasteride can control your condition, but it cannot cure it.It may take at least 6 months for your symptoms to improve. Continue taking finasteride even if you feel well. Do not stop taking finasteride without talking to your doctor. If you are taking finasteride to treat male pattern baldness, it may take at least 3 months before you see improvement as hair loss and growth progresses slowly over time. You should expect to see improvement within the first 12 months. If he has been on finasteride for 12 months with no improvement, further treatment is probably not helpful. Talk to your doctor about continuing treatment.
Finasteride can cause side effects:
- Inability to get or maintain an erection
- Decreased libido
- Problems with ejaculation (including reduced ejaculation volume)
- Pain in the testicles
Some side effects can be serious:
- Changes such as breast enlargement, lumps, pain, or nipple discharge
- Lip and face swelling
- Difficulty breathing or swallowing
Please consult your doctor/physician/specialist before taking any healthcare products. In case of allergic reaction to the medicines/substance, please take immediate medical help.