Empagliflozin sold under the trade name Jardiance. Empagliflozin is a sodium glucose cotransporter 2 (SGLT-2) inhibitor that works by increasing urinary glucose loss.
- Empagliflozin is used with diet and exercise to improve blood sugar control in adults with type 2 diabetes ( condition in which the body does not use insulin normally and, therefore, cannot control the amount of sugar in the blood ).
- Empagliflozin is also used to reduce the risk of death from heart attack, stroke, or heart failure in adults with type 2 diabetes and heart disease.
- Empagliflozin is also used to reduce the risk of dying from heart failure or having to be hospitalized if the heart cannot pump blood properly.
- Empagliflozin will not be used to treat her type 1 diabetes .( condition in which the body does not produce insulin and, therefore, cannot control the amount of sugar in the blood )
- Empagliflozin may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Type 2 diabetes
Type 1 diabetes
Empagliflozin is available as an oral tablet. In general, take this medicine once a day in the morning, with or without food. Take empagliflozin at about the same time each day. Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully and ask your doctor or pharmacist to clarify any areas you do not understand. Take Empagliflozin exactly as directed. Do not take more or less, or more often than directed by your doctor.
A doctor may start with a low dose of empagliflozin and increase the dose if necessary.
Empagliflozin will help control your condition but will not cure it. Continue taking Empagliflozin even if you feel well. Do not stop taking empagliflozin without first talking to your doctor. Ask your pharmacist or doctor for a copy of the manufacturer's information sheet for your patient.
Common side effects include urinary tract infections, groin fungal infections, and joint pain. Rare but more serious side effects include a skin infection in the groin called Fournier's gangrene and diabetic ketoacidosis with normal blood sugar levels. Not recommended for use during pregnancy and breast feeding. It may help slow the progression of mild kidney damage, but is not recommended for patients with significant kidney disease.
Please consult your doctor/physician/specialist before taking any healthcare products. In case of allergic reaction to the medicines/substance, please take immediate medical help.