Mamaearth claims to provide products that are 100% safe, natural and free from toxins. It focuses on baby and mother care products mostly.
This is the exact word that is written on their website about their products -
"Explore best-selling safe, natural, and 100% toxin-free baby and beauty products from Mamaearth. Get amazing deals and start your toxin-free skin, hair, and baby care journey."
When we did a litte bit of research on mamaearth products, we found something interesting.
Lets take one of Mamaearth's product - Mamaearth Gentle Cleansing Shampoo for Babies" and have a look at its ingredients.
Key Ingredients: We ll try to deep dive into each ingredients and pass and fail and ingredient basis its toxicity, use restrictions and carcinogenicity (Cancerous properties).
1. Decyl glucoside - Its a glucose-based surfactant that is non-carcinogenic (does not cause cancer), is moderately toxic when it comes to allergy and immunotxicity (hinders your immune system) and has mild to none effercts on development and reproductive health. PASS
2. Sodium cocoyl isothionate - Sodium cocoyl isethionate is a surfactant based on fatty acids and it is produced from coconut oil and isoethionic acid, a type of sulfonic acid. It doesnt have any side effects and is non toxic and non-carcinogenic. PASS
3. Disodium cocoamphoacetate - It is another surfactant derived from coconuts. Mostly doesnt have any side efferct and is non toxic and non-carcinogenic. PASS
4. Panthenol - Panthenol is a form of vitamin B5, used as a moisturizer and lubricating compound. This ingredient is listed in the PETA's Caring Consumer guide as a substance that can be of either animal or plant origin. It doesnt have any side effects and is non toxic and non-carcinogenic. Although we are not sure if the Panthenol used in Mamaearth products is animal origin or plant origin. - FAIL
5. Aloe Vera extract - Aloe vera is extracted from the succulent leaves of the aloe plant, Aloe barbadensis. It is found in some studies that there are natural cancer causing agents in aloe vera plant. Usually aloe vera pulp is used (decolorised version, where the color is removed) that is non cancerous and is safe to use. A whole crushed aloe vera pulp (the whole plant, without removing the outer layer of the leaf) its cancerous. Since aloe vera pulp is used in this mamaearth product it is safe to use. PASS
6. Calendula extracts - Calendula Officinalis Flower Oil is an oil derived from the flowers of Calendula officinalis. It has been in use in ayurvedic medicines since ages. It doesnt have any side effects and is non toxic and non-carcinogenic. PASS
7. Xanthan gum - Xanthan gum is a polysaccharide, a sugar-based polymer produced by bacteria; it is used as a viscosity agent in personal care products and foods. It doesnt have any side effects and is non toxic and non-carcinogenic. PASS
8. Sodium benzoate - Sodium benzoate is a preservative commonly used in foods, pharmaceuticals and cosmetics. It non toxic in general but there is a version of sodium bezoate (Decarboxilation) that can be toxic. So it depends on the quality audits of the factories where this component is manufactured. It is in general non toxic and non carcinogenic. PASS
9. Potassium sorbate - Potassium sorbate is a potassium salt of sorbic acid, a naturally occuring antimicrobial compound; used as a preservative. There are strong evidence that this preservative is skin toxicant or allergen. FAIL
10. Lavender essential oil - A volatile oil obtained from Lavendula officinalis, a common medicinal plant; can act as an allergen. It is considered safe to use. PASS
Out of 10 ingredients of the products it passed on 8 ingredients and fails on 2. We would suggest to use this product under doctor or specialist's supervision only.
We recommend product on 3 levels -
2. Use under a speacialist's / Doctor's supervision
3. Use with doctor's suggestion
Caresupp passes or fails an ingredient of the product basis its - Toxicity, Carcinogenicity, Use restrictions, ecotoxicology and overall effects of the products and ingredients.
Reference for the study of the above article -
1. https://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ingredients - used for allergen, toxicity and carcinogenic property study and research
5. www.wikipedia.com - Used for basic content