Pioglitazone sold under brand names such as Actos. It works by making the body more sensitive to insulin, a natural substance that helps control blood sugar levels.
- Pioglitazone is used with diet and exercise to improve glycemic control in adults with type 2 diabetes. Pioglitazone is not suitable for treating her type 1 diabetes.
- Pioglitazone may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Pioglitazone is available as an oral tablet. In general, take this medicine once a day with or without food. Take pioglitazone at about the same time each day. Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully and ask your doctor or pharmacist to clarify any areas you do not understand. Take pioglitazone exactly as directed. Do not take more or less, or more often than directed by your doctor.
Some common side effects are:
- muscle pain
Some side efffects can be serious:
- changes in vision
- decreased vision
- Frequent urination, painful urination, difficulty urinating
- cloudy, discolored, or bloody urine
- pain in the back or abdomen
Please consult your doctor/physician/specialist before taking any healthcare products. In case of allergic reaction to the medicines/substance, please take immediate medical help.